North and South Marsh Wards, Lambeth, 1876


The North and South Marsh wards show the huge changes further inland from the river following the impact of the railways on South London.

Waterloo Station is already the focal point of lines going south, east and across the river to the Charing Cross terminus via the Hungerford Railway Bridge, which was built in 1864.

The many docks and wharfs on the river bank bear witness to the huge import and export industry, as well as the existing pottery, timber, lead shot and other local Lambeth industries that in 1876 still used the river as their main mode of transportation.

Near the foot of Westminster Bridge is the recently constructed St Thomas's Hospital, built between 1869 and 1871, which replaced Bishops Walk. Lying to it's south is Lambeth Palace, the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

Extract from the 'Plan of The Parish of Lambeth, showing its Divisions into Wards and Ecclesiastical Districts', surveyor Hugh McIntosh, 1876