Map of the Fortification of London and Suburbs, c.1700


An early print showing 'A Plan of the City and Suburbs of London as Fortified by Order of Parliament in the Years 1642 & 1643'.

The fortifications consisted of ramparts and ditches with forts at regular intervals and were built by large numbers of enthusiastic volunteer Londoners.

At the north end of Lambeth there were three forts each with four half bulwarks, one at Vauxhall, one by the Dog and Duck in St George's Fields and one near the end of Blackman Street, the present day Newington Causeway.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).