Bank Buildings, Tranquil Vale, Blackheath, c. 1879
While the greater part of the residents' lives were spent in the City or the West End, there was little need for suburban banks.
Their emergence was a sign of maturity in Blackheath.
The North Kent Bank was founded by local men, using local capital, in 1864 and prospered until the manager absconded with more than £20,000 in 1878.
The business was transferred to the London & Provincial Bank which, in 1917, merged with the South Western and in 1921 became a part of Barclays Bank. The bank was rebuilt in its present in 1888-1889.