Blackheath High School, Wemyss Road, Blackheath, c. 1960


Blackheath High School for girls, Wemyss Road, opened in 1880 to provide a high standard of education, comparable to that in the flourishing Blackheath Proprietary School for boys, for the young women of Blackheath.

The school was built at the initiative of local residents, but was run by the Girls Public Day School Company.

The original Weymyss Road building is now the Junior School, the seniors having moved to Vanbrugh Park on the Greenwich side of Blackheath.

See historic maps of Blackheath