Lewisham Hill, Blackheath, 1823


Engraving by T.M.Baynes, 1823

Development in Lewisham Hill probably began in the middle of the seventeenth century with Colfe's Grammar School, but progress was slow.

The cottages seen on the right of this view from the top of the hill were built in the second half of the eighteenth century. They were replaced by large detached houses for middle class settlers c.1870.

See historic maps of Blackheath