Mince Pie House, Vanbrugh Fields, Blackheath, c. 1910
[Mince Pie House was in the Borough of Greenwich]
Between 1718 and his death in 1726 the architect and playright, Sir John Vanbrugh built an extraordinary group of castellated houses for himself and members of his family on a twelve acre plot east of Maze Hill.
They fell out of fashion in the 19th century, and only his own house, Vanbrugh Castle, survives. Mince Pie House, otherwise known as the Nunnery or Sherwood, was built for Sir John's brother, Phillip. It was demolished in 1911.