Rushey Green, Catford, Lewisham, c. 1906


In with the new and out with the old. Electric trams with their effortlessly longer range and larger capacity start to displace the horse trams.

Catford was a tram terminus from 1890. The route was electrified in 1906. The line was extended south to Southend in 1914.

Rushey Green is the southern continuation of Lewisham High Street.

The Black Horse public house (background, left) was rebuilt in 1897; the cottages (partly obscured) on the right date from the early 19th century.

See historic maps of Catford