Rushey Green, Catford, Lewisham, c. 1910


Rushey Green is the southern continuation of Lewisham High Street.

This view looks north towards Lewisham and dates from after 1906, when the trams were electrified.

In common with Lewisham High Street, Rushey Green was unusually wide. The fence on the extreme right encloses small gardens and (out of view) a wide pavement in front of the shop fronts. This section of road was developed from the early 19th century but was expanded a century later in response to extensive suburban development.

See historic maps of Catford