St John's School, Albyn Rd, Deptford New Town, Lewisham, c. 1910


Deptford New Town was made part of a new parish of St John's in 1855. That church's spire can be seen in the background..

The school was at the corner of Albyn Road (then Albyn Street), St John's Road and Admiral Street.

The church and the parish were the result of the combined efforts of John Seymour Spencer Lucas, the freeholder of the area, and Canon C F S Money, the parish's first vicar. The school was immediately successful, but wilted under the challenge of the London School Board's Tanners Hill School, which opened in 1879.

The parish conceded in 1911 when St John's School passed to the London County Council. It was demolished and rebuilt as Ravensbourne School. It is now St Stephen's Primary School.