Deptford Church Street, Deptford, 1922

deptford-church-street-01015-350

Deptford Church Street was the link between the Upper Town around the Broadway and the bridge, and the Lower Town around the old parish church of St. Nicholas. There were fields between the two settlements until the nineteenth century.

Church Street was one of the town's main shopping centres.

The scattering of houses seen here in the early 17th century had become a continuous ribbon of development by 1800.

The nearest shop in this painting shows evidence of a long history of alteration and extension.

All the Church Street houses were demolished in the second half of the 20th century.

Print of a watercolour by Evacustes A. Phipson, 1922.

See historic maps of Deptford