Deptford High Street, Deptford, 1922

deptford-high-street-01014-350

These houses (nos. 50 - 32 Deptford High Street) were built near the southern end of the road between 1775 and 1792.

The nearer two houses, which were the oldest, have now been demolished.

All were intended as private dwellings for skilled workmen, and some would undoubtedly have been occupied by shipwrights.

Commercial uses took over in the mid 19th century, helping to produce the High Street with "almost as many styles of building as houses, the only agreement being that all have shop fronts".

Print of a watercolour by Evacustes A. Phipson, 1922.

See historic maps of Deptford