Deptford Theatre, Deptford Church Street, Deptford, Lewisham, c. 1840

deptford-theatre-1840-01564-350

Deptford Theatre was the town's earliest such establishment. It stood on the east side of Church Street, backing onto the creek.

There are references to entertainment on the site back into the mid-18th century, but the theatre was most active after a refurbishment in 1835.

Many well known names of mid-19th century entertainment appeared, but it suffered decline and closed in the 1860s. The site then became a coal wharf.

The Oxford Arms was renamed the Bird's Nest and its theatre space continues the tradition of live performance.

See historic maps of Deptford