Kent Waterworks, Deptford, Lewisham, 1840
The Ravensbourne Water Company was founded in 1709 and became the Kent Waterworks Company in 1809.
Originally water was taken from the river Ravensbourne and later from wells.
Thames Water still take water from the site, but the reservoir has been covered and the course of the river much altered to accommodate flood prevention measures and the Docklands Light Railway.
Watercolour by C.Matthews.