Mechanics' Institute, Deptford High Street, Deptford, c.1920
The Deptford Mechanics' and Literary Institute was founded in 1825, but lapsed in the 1830s. It was revived in 1848, and this hall just south of the railway station was built in 1851-2. The architect was William Wallen of Greenwich.
Its purpose was to provide education to the skilled elite of the town through weekly lectures and a library.
In 1908 it became the Electric Cinema (Deptford's first), and in 1921 it was converted into a billiard hall.