Prince Street, Deptford, 1931


These early eighteenth century houses were known as New Row for a century, before more sensibly taking their place as part of Prince Street.

They must have been built with shipbuilders in mind, as the main gate of the Deptford Royal Dockyard was just around the corner.

The old houses originally extended to opposite the dockyard gate, but the ones in the distance, including the Tiger Cat pub, were rebuilt in the 1880s.

The new houses and the pub were destroyed during the Second World War, but the remains of New Row survived until 1957.

Photograph taken on 25th June 1931.