Sayes Court, Evelyn Street, Deptford, Lewisham, c. 1840

sayes-court-1840-01559-350

Sayes Court was the ancient manor house of Deptford. There was a building on the site from the 12th century. However, the building shown here (originally the St Nicholas Workhouse) dates from 1729. It was demolished c.1930.

The Evelyn family were lords of the manor for many generations and its most famous member, John Evelyn, the diarist, lived there from 1652 to 1694. The house is remembered in Sayes Court Park.

See historic maps of Deptford