St Paul's Church, Deptford Church Street, Deptford, 1835

st-pauls-01571-350

Deptford was an unusually large parish with its nucleus around the ancient St Nicholas' Church near the river.

Acknowledging its growth south; its prosperity, status; and taking advantage of state support for the building of new churches in London, a new parish church, St Paul's, opened in 1730.

It was designed by Thomas Archer and is one of the most striking buildings for many miles. Its extensive churchyard ensured fine views from all sides.

The Rector's house is to the right, partially obscured by trees.

See historic maps of Deptford