Tanners Hill, Deptford, Lewisham, 1926

tanners-hill-01007-350

Nos.19 to 25 Tanners Hill were rebuilt in the 1750s on the site of even smaller 17th century cottages.

Some of the varied timber used in their construction probably came, legally or illegally, from the Royal Dockyard.

Early occupiers included shipwrights, market gardeners, and carpenters.

Some of the houses were used for trades from the beginning, but the formal conversion of the ground floors began in the 1830s.

The terrace originally ran from 1 to 31, but 21 to 31 are the only 18th century survivors.

Print of a watercolour illustration by John R.Llwyd Roberts.

See historic maps of Deptford