Trinity Almshouses, Deptford Church Street, Deptford, c.1840

trinity-almshouses-01569-350

The Guild of Trinity House was established in the 16th century and took on the role of licensing Thames pilots, keeping the river clear, and, later, establishing and maintaining lighthouses and other aids to offshore navigation around the country.

The guild's hall and the original work houses near St Nicholas' Church.

The almshouses were established in 1670 to provide housing to the members. They were demolished in 1877.

Together with the dockyard and the victualling yard, Trinity Houses demonstrated Deptford's fundamental association with the River Thames and seafaring.

See historic maps of Deptford