Watergate Street, Deptford, 1926

watergate-street-01010-350

Watergate Street (formerly King Street) was an ancient Deptford thoroughfare and the main access to the river.

In the 17th and 18th centuries many of the town's leading citizens, especially those connected with its maritime industries, lived here in good houses such as this.

No.17, seen here, was originally part of a nearly continuous terrace from the High Street to the Thames, but by 1926 the street had decayed into a slum, and many houses had been demolished. All have now been swept away. This house was similar to the surviving houses built in Albury Street from 1707.
 
Print of a watercolour illustration by J.R. Llwyd Roberts.

See historic maps of Deptford