Grove Road School, Brockley Rise, Forest Hill, c. 1876


The Grove Road (later Dalmain Road) school was built by the School Board for London, which had been set up under the 1870 Act.

It was their first local school and was opened in 1873 in one of the few poor areas of Forest Hill. Indeed, it remained the only state school there until 1903.

The horseman seen on the right, was turning into Grove Road, which was part of the West Kent Park estate. It was not much above the level of a slum.

The nearest building was the original school of 1873, which became the infants' department when the taller boys' and girls' school was added in 1875.

See historic maps of Forest Hill