Hill House, 64 Honor Oak Road, Forest Hill, c. 1970


Honor Oak Road was the original Forest Hill, from which the name spread to the rest of the suburb, when it was laid out on the adjoining Sydenham Common after the enclosure.

'Sydenham New Town' was another early name for the Honor Oak Road development.

Hill House was built c.1796 and extended over the next few years. Henry Dudin, a Southwark warehouseman and corn factor, occupied the house for several years from 1807, and seems to have used it as a hunting lodge. He was Master of the Old Surrey Hunt, which met locally at that time, and there are indications that the north wing was originally a stable block.

See historic maps of Forest Hill