St Swithun's Church, Hither Green, c. 1950
The new parish of St. Swithun's was created on November 1888.
On 19th July 1884 a Mission Church was opened which now serves as the church hall.
The foundation stone for the present church was laid on 2nd July 1892. By 1902 the nave was complete and by 1904 the chancel and transepts were finished.
Plans for elaborate decoration had to be abandoned because of the migration of the wealthier residents.
The church was designed by Ernest Newton and built by Parmenter of Braintre, Essex. It is built of red Wrotham brick with Bath stone windows.
The individual chairs shown in the photograph were replaced after World War II by pews from the bombed church of Christ Church, Lee Park.