Bermondsey Union Workhouse, Ladywell, Lewisham, c. 1900
This workhouse for the aged and infirm poor run by Bermondsey Union, opened in 1900.
It covered a vast area and now only about a tenth of it survives.
The original gateway, porter's lodge and old stable block, now the Ladywell Lodge Training Centre, can be found at the end of Slagrove Place.
The water tower and central admin block are off Dressington Avenue.
The total capacity of the workhouse was 812 inmates. 70 staff supervised the inmates and lived under the same strict regulations.
The inmates shown here at dinner, are segregated by sex and are wearing the workhouse uniform.