Ladywell Fields, Ladywell, Lewisham, c. 1900


Ladywell Fields, formerly called (and still well known locally as) Ladywell Recreation Ground, was purchased for a public open space in 1889, to serve the growing population of Lewisham and Catford.

The land had been water meadows, and much work on flood prevention had to be done before the park could be opened to the public.

Six of these rustic bridges were built across the Ravensbourne to link the two sides of the park.