The Lady Well, Ladywell Fields, Ladywell, Lewisham, c. 1840
There was another well (mineral spring) at the modern 148 Ladywell Road, where there is a plaque to that effect.
The mineral spring, with the usual claims to medicinal powers, was indirectly the victim of suburb development as it ran dry after the construction of a sewer in 1885.
This view is of the north end of the modern Ladywell Fields. St Mary's Church is in the background and the Ravensbourne River runs in front of the church.
The well, or Lady's well, a reference to the dedication of the parish church of St Mary, was situated in modern Railway Terrace next to the station.