King's Hall Cinema, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, c. 1913

kings-hall-cinema-01473-350

The King's Hall Cinema opened in December 1912 at the north end of Lewisham High Street.

The area's patriotism must have been significant to override the temptation to call it the Alhambra. It is a good example of ambitious enterprise capitalising on the new and the growing fashion of moving film.

The cinema was bombed several times during World War II but continued as a cinema until it was demolished in the 1980s.

See historic maps of Lewisham