Romer Place, Lewisham, c. 1937

romer-place-01461-350

romer-place-00092-350

 

 

map-romer-place-160

Front view of houses in Romer Place (originally Fuller's Place). Its location was off the west side of Lewisham High Street, in the area now occupied by BHS (formerly British Home Stores) and TK Maxx (formerly Littlewoods).

It was one of hundreds of similar houses built in the late 1830s and 1840s over the gardens of Grove House, a mansion demolished c.1836.

The early occupants were jobbing gardeners, carpenters, laundresses, and others providing services for the bigger houses of the village.

See historic maps of Lewisham