The Limes, Lewisham High Street, Lewisham, c. 1880


The Limes was one of the largest houses in the High Street.

In the mid 18th century it was frequently visited by John Wesley, when it was occupied by the Sparrow family and later John Wesley's financial advisor, Ebenezer Blackwell. Wesley was attracted by their hospitality, the Evangelist tendencies of the Earl of Dartmouth, Lord of the Manor, and the area's rural character.

One hundred years later the then owner, Edward Legh, went with the spirit of the time and began to build on part of his land. Limes Grove dated from this time.

The Limes was demolished in 1894 and St Saviour's Roman Catholic Church built on the site in 1909.

See historic maps of Lewisham