Counter Hill Academy, Lewisham Way, New Cross, c. 1840


Counter Hill Academy was a private school, which stood on the site of the present Goldsmiths' College.

The house was built as a private home in 1789, but became a boarding school in 1792.

The building shown here was demolished in the early 1840s and the Royal Naval School opened on the site in 1844.

When that institution moved to Eltham in 1891 the buildings were taken over by the Goldsmiths' Company as their Technical and Recreative Institute.

See historic maps of New Cross