Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham Girls' School, New Cross, c. 1905


The Haberdashers Company, who owned much of the land in New Cross and were developing it in the 1860s and 1870s, had surplus money in the Aske's educational charity.

They founded grammar schools for boys and girls in 1875. This is the building, at the corner of New Cross Road and Jerningham Road, to which the girls' school was moved in 1891.

The schools are now combined as Haberdashers' Aske's Hatcham College.

Postcard published by P S & V.


See historic maps of New Cross