New Cross Kinema, New Cross, 1927


The New Cross Kinema, New Cross Road, opened in 1925. There was a cinema on the ground floor and a dance hall above. It retained its Kinema title until 1950 when it became part of the Gaumont chain, it closed in 1960.

The building still stands.

The current feature when this photograph was taken was "The Nest", a silent movie made in 1927 and starring the prolific and much admired Pauline Frenerick (right).

See historic maps of New Cross