New Cross Gate, New Cross, Lewisham, c. 1900


The junction of New Cross Road (to the right) and Queens Road (to the left) was and still is a busy junction.

The eastern section of New Cross Road carries traffic from both the Dover and Folkstone Road and the Old Kent Road (to the City) and Queens Road.

It takes its name from the gate on the turnpike road, which remained until turnpikes were abolished in the1860s. In the background is the White Hart Inn of 1898 and substantial houses of the 1840s and 1850s on Queens Road.

See historic maps of New Cross