New Cross Gate Station, New Cross, 1839


New Cross Station (renamed New Cross Gate in 1923 to distinguish it from the other New Cross Station to its east) opened on the London and Croydon Railway in 1839.

The line partly follows the route of the Croydon Canal. This was only the second railway in south east London.

Like its predecessor, the London and Greenwich, it had initially a minimal effect on suburban development in New Cross, but later in the 19th century, when the expiration of the long lease on the Haberdashers' Estate had made building land available, the line proved a major asset.

Published by R.Tyas, Cheapside, 2nd June 1839.

See historic maps of New Cross