New Cross Road, New Cross, c. 1910


This view looks east along New Cross Road from the site of the turnpike gate.

The Gate disappeared in 1865 and the island site was redeveloped as underground public lavatories. The tram lines arrived in 1870 and were electrified in 1904.

The terrace of houses with long front gardens and balconies dates from 1841, two years after the nearby New Cross Gate Station opened.

This scene is still recognisable today, though with considerably more traffic!

See historic maps of New Cross