Reservoir Road, New Cross, Lewisham, c. 1904


Reservoir Road was laid out in the 1880s as part of the Haberdashers' Company development of their New Cross estate between 1875 and 1900.

The reservoir itself was, in fact, on the neighbouring Jerningham Road.

A curiosity of the houses on the left lies in the irregular line of the rear back garden fences, which follows a field boundary based on the ancient Surrey/Kent county boundary.

See historic maps of New Cross