Flower House took its name from the eighteenth century owners.

In the nineteenth century the estate was acquired by the Forster family, Southend's leading landowners, and the house greatly enlarged in stages for the younger son.

Early in the twentieth century it became a private lunatic asylum.

The house was demolished in 1944, after bomb damage, and replaced by the Flower House estate.