There were three old inns in Southend Village, two of which had modern successors.

The Tiger's Head was founded, as the George, early in the 18th century.

The Tiger's Head's position next to the Lower Mill must have given it most of the trade from the cutlers employed there in its early days.

The name changed to the Tiger's Head in the 1740s.

The pub was rebuilt in 1901-1902, destroyed by a flying bomb in 1944, and rebuilt. The pub is now closed and likely to be demolished.