These twelve houses in Bromley Road were built by James Watt of Catford in 1908 - 1909, in two terraces of six. They were called Upper Mill Cottages because they were opposite the Upper Mill.

The houses, which replaced the Forster family's home farm, were the first stage of suburban redevelopment in the village.

The trend was halted by the war, and not resumed in the same way afterwards because the Downham and Bellingham L.C.C. estates brought great changes to the area.

Only four of the Upper Mill Cottages, the present 391 - 397 Bromley Road, survived World War II bomb damage.