Sir George Grove's House, Sydenham, Lewisham, 1914
This late 17th century wooden house in Sydenham Road probably began as a pair of cottages similar to others formerly standing and one still surviving nearby.
They dated from the time when the discovery of Sydenham Wells was bringing many new residents and visitors to the village.
Before becoming a private house this building served as a farm and perhaps also as an inn.
It achieved some fame between 1860 and 1900 as the home of Sir George Grove, who wrote his great musical dictionary here.