Timbered Shops, Sydenham Road, Sydenham, 1960




This wooden terrace was known as Covell's Cottages after the butcher who occupied one of them, c.1830 to 1868.

They were probably built originally for farm labourers. The farm house , which was demolished in the early 1880s, stood to the left of the cottages.

The butcher's shop came to dominate the farming side of the business as the village grew into a suburb, and eventually the grazing lands were covered with houses.

Covell's Cottages were demolished in the 1960s.

See historic maps of Sydenham