Map of Grove Park, 1917


The history of Grove Park begins with the opening of the station in 1871.

The name chosen for it indicates that Grove Farm had already been selected as the site for a building estate. Indeed, one of the luxury houses in Baring Road was built before the railway came.

By the First World War this middle class community, with its own parish church, had reached its peak.

A first check to development along the original lines had come with the building of the Greenwich Workhouse, later Greewich Hospital, between 1900 and 1902.

By 1917 it was being used by the Army Service Corps.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slow download).

Kelly's Directories Ltd. 1917.

See images of Grove Park