Map of Hither Green, 1904


The 1890s was the decisive decade in the history of Hither Green.

The station opened in 1895, prompting a surge in building development, led by Archibald Cameron Corbett, who began his huge St Germans Estate in the next year. It can be seen here spreading south from Brownhill Road.

At the same time there was some discouragement for providers of quality housing: the Park Fever Hospital was being built on the site of Hither Green's two largest country houses.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

G. W. Bacon, Borough of Lewisham map 1904.