Map of Lee, Lewisham, c. 1745


The ancient parish of Lee was long and narrow, running south to the Bromley boundary at Grove Park, but nearly all the inhabitants lived in the northern quarter.

There the houses fell into three groups, around St Margaret's Church on Belmont Hill, along the winding High Road from Lewisham to Lee Green, especially in what is now the Old Road area, and at Lee Green itself.

Sir John Lade's house was one of the many country villas that were the main feature of Lee until the 19th century.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).

John Rocque 1741 - 1745.