Map of Lee, Lewisham, c. 1894


Lee Place, the moated mansion in the centre of the village, was pulled down in 1824, when the High Road was straightened.

A working class area, Lee New Town, was built over the garden.

The proximity of Blackheath led to more intensive middle class development of northern Lee from the 1830s.

South of the High Road the parish continued to be almost purely agricultural until the opening of Lee Station in 1866 attracted builders to Burnt Ash Road and its offshoots.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slower download).