Map of Lewisham, c. 1743
The Anglo-Saxon settlement of Lewisham is presumed to have been around St Mary's Church.
From there the village spread up and down the High Street, which followed the course of the Ravensbourne River, which was the economic foundation of the village.
In the 1740s there were a few London lawyers and businessmen living in the village, but they were outnumbered by farmers.
Map by John Rocque 1741 - 1745.