Map of Lewisham, 1862


The village was just beginning a period of radical change in 1860, mainly from the stimulus given to building by the opening of Lewisham Station in 1849.

The station was just north of this extract.

Avenue Road had replaced one of the old mansions; Limes Grove had been carved from the garden of another, and Lewisham Park, an ambitious scheme by the Lord Dartmouth, replaced one of the old common fields of the manor.

These were the first new turnings from the High Street since the Middle Ages.

Edward Stanford, Library Map 1862.