Map of New Cross, Lewisham, c. 1894


The Haberdashers' Company obtained possession of Hatcham House in 1868, and of the mansions on the south side of New Cross Road in the 1870s, so that development of this central area could begin.

On the low-lying Hatcham House estate, hemmed in by railways and a fever hospital, they built terraces for lower middle class tenants.

To the south, they covered the dramatic Telegraph Hill with large semi-detached houses, and completed this quality estate with a park, a church, and fine schools for boys and girls.

Click on the map for an enlarged image or click here for a larger, readable image (slow download).

Ordnance Survey 1893 - 1894.