Guy's Hospital, Borough, c. 1830

Guy's Hospital, Borough, c. 1830

Two of London's ancient hospitals have their origins in Southwark.

St.Thomas', which is now on the Lambeth river front, grew from a hospital attached to the priory of St Mary Overie.

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1725 by Thomas Guy in an attempt to provide extra care in the area.

Until the establishment of the NHS in 1948 patients had to pay for their care here.

Print of an engraving by W.J.Welchs.