Camberwell Grove, Camberwell, 1776


Camberwell Grove originated as a tree-lined avenue that led from the Manor House of the Manor of Camberwell Buckingham to the countryside behind it to the south.

The Manor House stood on the present Church Street, next to St.Gyles' Church.

The house was demolished in 1776, and this precipitated the development of Grove Lane which ran parallel to it into streets of fine Georgian houses.

Engraving from Walter Harrison's 'Universal History, Description and Survey of London, Westminster and Southwark', 1776.